The Amazon Brand Registry program gives you complete control over your brand if you’re able to prove that you are the rightful brand owner of the products you’re listing.
The Amazon Brand Registry makes it easy for both companies and independent sellers to retain more control over their products and their listings. It is designed to generally make it easier to manage your brand and list a high volume of products. Registering your brand with the program gives you more control over such things as product titles, images and descriptions. It is also designed to reduce matching errors that sometimes occur when items are listed.
It is intended specifically for brands that own the rights to their products. This means your brand needs to be trademarked first in order to be brand registered.
Amazon’s new counterfeit removal program
With Amazon’s Brand Registry 2.0, sellers will also have the ability to flag counterfeit items within the Brand Registry, allowing Amazon to take down the listing and potentially suspend the seller account associated with the counterfeit items. Learn more about Amazon’s counterfeit removal program here.
Who Benefits from Amazon’s Brand Registry Program?
- Manufacturers: Traditional manufacturers can benefit from having their brands fully integrated into the Amazon standard. This program also has obvious benefits for creators of handmade products because it allows them to create IDs for their products in a cost-effective, streamlined way.
- Private Label & White Labellers: The program is especially beneficial for sellers who distribute their products exclusively through Amazon because it essentially gives them the inventory tools they need to run a high-volume business from an online storefront. The Amazon Brand Registry is also an attractive option for both private-label sellers and white-label sellers because retailers can customize the identities of their products.
- Image: You will need to provide an image of your actual product with some sort of branding in a visible spot.
- Website: You will need to show Amazon a link to an active website that shows photos or videos of your product.
- Key attribute: A key attribute is also required when submitting an application. An attribute can come in the form of a manufacturer part number, a model number or a catalog number.
You won’t be charged a fee for applying and being accepted into the Amazon Brand Registry. However, only sellers with paid professional accounts are eligible to apply. Click here to register for the Amazon Brand Registry.
Key Benefit: Product Listing Control
The reason most sellers choose to sign up with the Amazon Brand Registry is listing control. The way that the Amazon platform is set up only allows for customers to see one listing when they search for a product. This means only one listing will appear even if there are dozens of sellers offering the same product. What customers are viewing is actually a written description that is compiled from several different seller edits.
Amazon will respond quickly to any infringement claims you make. Amazon is able to respond quickly when a copyright infringement occurs because proper ownership of your brand has already been established and proven during the initial registration process.
Global Catalog Identifier
Brands that are enrolled in the Amazon Brand Registry are issued a Global Catalog Identifier (‘GCID’) that can be used instead of traditional UPC codes. Please note the GCID is different to the ASIN of a product. The GCID is tied directly to a product and will not change, while the ASIN is tied to the product listing and can be changed by Amazon.
How to File a Complaint for Amazon Trademark Infringement
You may see your branded products being sold or advertised erroneously by another seller at some point. If your brand is a victim of Amazon trademark infringement by another seller, you will need to report the situation using the appropriate channel.
The most streamlined way that sellers on Amazon report infringement is to simply submit a contact form. Amazon provides a special page where sellers can report allegations of inappropriate listings, fraudulent seller actions, policy violations or other causes for concern.
Try Sellics for free now!
August 3, 2018
July 20, 2017